Current Rice University COVID policies:
Indoors: Masks are required indoors at all times for faculty, staff, students, and visitors, with the following exceptions:
- When students are inside their own rooms in a residential college.
- When faculty, staff, and students are alone inside a private office.
- Faculty lecturing in a classroom are advised, but not required, to wear a mask. If they’re not masked, instructors must maintain a distance of at least 10 feet between themselves and their students. Unvaccinated instructors must wear a mask at all times.
Outdoors: Masks are not required outdoors.
Our large-scale testing program will begin again in the fall semester with Baylor Genetics, Methodist Hospital, and our own LAMP testing. Symptomatic testing will be offered on campus.
- Fully vaccinated people coming to campus must schedule a test once a week.
- Unvaccinated people coming to campus must test twice per week, regardless of whether they come into contact with other people.
To provide proof of vaccination:
To schedule a test, CLICK HERE.
Indoor Gatherings. Indoor gatherings of more than 100 people must go through a review and approval process by the Crisis Management Team, with the exception of Registrar scheduled classes. Guidance and direction related to classroom gatherings were shared by the Provost in a campus-wide communication sent Sept. 2, 2021.
Room occupancy limits. We are not currently reestablishing the COVID-19 occupancy limits on rooms, nor will there be any changes to university housing levels at this time.
Rental of space to external groups. Until further notice, there should be no new commitments made to rent space to outside groups. Existing contracts need not be canceled.