Current COVID policies:
Face Mask Policy
- Indoors: Individuals who are fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination, are exempted from the indoor face mask requirement.
- People who are not fully vaccinated must wear a mask when indoors, with exceptions granted when actively eating or drinking, or when students are inside their own rooms within a residential college, or when faculty/staff/students are alone inside a private office.
- Outdoors: There is no requirement for wearing a face mask on campus when outside.
- Participation in the Rice COVID-19 weekly testing program is mandatory for all faculty, staff and students who come to campus. However, individuals who are fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination, are exempted from the testing requirement.
Gathering Size and Occupancy Limits
- Indoors: There are no COVID-related restrictions limiting the size of indoor gatherings. All other normal capacity restrictions (such as those imposed under the fire code) and pre-existing approval processes remain in force.
- There may a limited number of pandemic-related restrictions imposed on a case-by-case basis in which the characteristics of the space are not conducive to the activity or a higher density and they will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis by Rice Crisis Management.
- Outdoors: There are no gathering size limits on all outdoor activities.
- Rice Study Abroad programs, faculty-led programs, CLIC in-country programs, and the travel components of other academic programs (such as those run by the Center for Civic Leadership) are cancelled for the summer. We are also not permitting student participation in third-party provider study abroad programs. Questions should be directed to the dean of undergraduates (UGDEAN@RICE.EDU).
- There are no restrictions on faculty or graduate student travel.
- All international travel must be registered at TRAVELREGISTRY.RICE.EDU. More information on travel is available here: TRAVEL